Sprint - Total Equipment Protection policy is a scam, Beware!

608 of 867 Sprint reviews

We previously had 3 Evo 4G's and paid for the TEP insurance which, according to Sprint, would replace a damaged, lost or stolen phone with a new phone by paying a $50 deductible. When we upgraded phones this past July to the newer EVO 4G LTE we were told the same thing, new phones would be provided in the event of loss, damage or stolen. Even though the premium increased by $3 for each phone ($8 to $11) we continued with the policies for each line.

This week my son's phone suffered water damage and would not even boot up. In going online to Sprint's support chat they informed him to simply go into the local store and exchange the phone. The next day he did just that only to find out that's not how it works. First, you have to go online with the insurance company, Asurion, and file a claim. The claim requires documents to be filled out plus an affidavit and a photo ID of the primary account holder. Second, it's not a $50 deductible...it's $150!!

The grand finale coming up... upon receipt of the 'new' phone (after completing all the paperwork, etc. even though the Spring customer service said we didn't have to...but they were wrong...again)we discovered it's a 'refurbished' phone. Not 'new' as purported. The 'refurbished' phone had several mechanical flaws, he called Asurion who then sent out another replacement...another 'refurbished' phone. That, too, had physical damage and issues.

Prior to the receipt of the phones, we had an online chat with Sprint and they assured us.... twice.. that we would receive a 'new' phone.

Phone calls to Sprint resulted in nothing. They basically said 'tough luck' on the difference in the deductibles even though their sales reps still sell the policy incorrectly (stating $50 deductible instead of $150).

They said 'tough luck' on the refurbished vs. new phone since Asurion makes their own rules on what kind of phone (alledgedly) you can have (based on availability, they reserve the right..in other words, IF the 4G LTE were no longer made or available 'as new' then they are, in fact, still being sold 'new' by Sprint).

Now, why would we pay $11 monthly ( times 3 = $396 annually) and then pay $150 deductible to get a refurbished phone when we already paid their original costs for a 'new' phone to start the plan?

The whole thing is a sham. The protection doesn't provide anything at all. Monetarily it's much cheaper just to go find a used phone if yours breaks.

We wound up going to a local store and talking directly with the manager. He was new and eager to please. We're 10 year customers of Sprint and their phone support people treated us like they just didn't care. This manager was able to:

1) give us a $100 credit on our bill to compensate for the misrepresented deductible, and

2) swap the refurbished phone for a brand new one (we had a printout of the online chat conversation where the Sprint rep said twice that we'd get a 'new' one and not a 'refurbished' one because we had the insurance).

As it is, the damages were minimal after the manager stepped in. Without that, it would have been the $132 for the insurance premiums, the $149.00 we paid for the original phone and the $150.00 deductible to get the refurbished replacement.

In doing a quick search for EVO 4G LTE phones on Craigslist they range around $200 of which many were brand new.

So before taking their "Total Equipment PRotection" policy be sure to work out the numbers and get the straight facts on how it works for your specific phone(s).

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.

More Review Details

Had the same issue 19 Yes 19
608 of 867 Sprint reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Nov 13, 2016 #1240076 Painesville, Ohio, United States

My wife had the screen protection installed and it had lifetime warranty. When the screen broke and we took it to the store to be replaced, the rude shift manager said the policy was changed and now we had to go online and had the screen mailed to us and we had to do it ourselves.
Upon my questioning why they would change the policy as to their benefit and why I wasn't grandfathered in, she asked me to leave amd threatened to call the police if I didn't. And believe me I want rude or angry. I was upset and that was enough for her to kick a customer who's been with sprinthe for over 15 years.

Jun 26, 2016 #1177986

I totally agree. I have used Ausion for other companies warranties, but Spints is the worst. My sons Galaxy S5 headhone jack stopped working on one side. It was not covered at my local Sprint company, not franchised, store. I called Asuion and it was a $200 deductable. Total joke.

Jun 19, 2016 #1175289

Sprint sucks i have a burn mark in my phone they want to charge me 200 for another phone i pay 11 a month for insurance what good is having insurance for worth nothing stay away from sprint a ripoff company i hate sprint i had my phone less then a year

Oct 12, 2016 #1226109

What's going in having insurance is that instead of spending $500+ on the spot on a new phone you spend $200. Plus, the $11/month over a year. So you're spending $132 + $200 in one year for a new phone.

Apr 20, 2016 #1147459

Sprint PURPOSEFULLY deceives customers and potential customers. Take a look at the cut you bill in half campaign. Total lies and bs. Look at Sprints customer service rating. They are dead last.

Reality

Apr 20, 2016 #1147457 Mesa, Arizona, United States

Sprint is a total scam. Worst customer service ever. Sales people lie. I believe they are trained to do so to make a sale. When my contract is up I'm switching back to Verizon.

Jan 04, 2016 #1088866

Sprint total care insurance is most definitely a scam. I shattered my iPhone 6 screen and it costs $200 to get it replaced/fixed. I told the rep. that I would pass and fix it myself (which ive done before on all my other iphones). I just figured since I had insurance this time that it would cover it, NOPE HUGE SCAM. The Rep even tried to tell me that iPhone screens can't be replace, LMAO ROTFL. I called him out on it, because that couldn't be a bigger load of bull $h*t. Ive doled out over $150 in insurance since I've had the phone and they wan't another $200 to fix it. Yea, no thanks.

Aug 20, 2016 #1201455 Lyndhurst, New Jersey, United States

The purpose of the TEP is for you not to pay retail price for your phone if you was to lose or damage your phone. $200 dollars is way cheaper than paying $600. Without the TEP you would have to pay retail price for a new phone. The only time you don't have to come out of pocket is if it's a manufactured defect. Now, I agree sprint is a full load of bull *** but having the total protection plan will save you lots of money if you was to lose your phone. I have an iPhone 6 so the retail price on my phone is $600.

Oct 12, 2016 #1226112

Agreed with Anon above. What would you rather spend? $200 + $132/year for a new phone? Or $600 on a new phone? You CAN totally replace an iPhone screen but it voids your warranty. If you do so and, cracking your screen, results in internal damage that can further screw up your phone? Then you're out of luck. No insurance will help. You need to pay full retail.

The Doctor

Jul 07, 2013 #676011 Orlando, Florida, United States

So I read these reviews and complaints. They all have one thing in common. All the complaints are based on inconsistencies with information they were "told". Funny how consumers end up on these complaint sites after blindly agreeing to things with doing simple math then blame the evil store employees for signing up for something they didnt even try to understand before they agreed to pay for it. Pathetic. Spend less time complaining and more time actually understanding what you're paying for. If you agree to pay for something you don't understand or at least validate, you deserve to get "ripped off".

5 17 Reply
Mark

Dec 17, 2013 #759775

Wow--really? So if an employee says something that is misinformed or downright deceitful, it's the customer's fault for taking them at their word, and the employee shares no blame? Seriously?

11 0 Reply
tim

Jun 03, 2014 #823438

Exactly! These companies have many tactics and loopholes to get themselves out of honoring a contract. In business finance, this is called "passing on the debt". My phone was denied repair for a charging port issue because of an unrelated cracked screen... Reasoning? Well, the associate said the cracked screen voids warranty. I replied: "what the *** does warranty have to do with insurance?" Her answer: The TOTAL protection plan does not cover accidents (although accidents are most likely in the high 90s% of damage); the port may have received damage in relation to the screen damage. While she explained this there is a huge sign behind her marketing the "TOTAL protection plan" with a picture of a phone with a cracked screen (false advertisement anyone?). In court the fine print holds no value if fraudulent claims are used to get the customer to sign. It is smart to buy prepaid these days as companies like Sprint have highly unethical ways of collecting money from people, in this case, the "TOTAL protection plan" that we pay them in trust that they will deliver their part of the transaction. If sprint was just one little private business, the owner would be in jail for this matter alone. If you have this issue, complain to Daniel R. Hesse, the CEO of sprint. Maybe enough people calling him out will spark some change but that's a long shot.

2 1 Reply
PISSED  SCAMMED SPRINT COSTMER

Jun 18, 2013 #666011 Saint Louis, Missouri, United States

SPRINT ARE LIARS. I TOOK MY PHONE IN TODAY FOR SERVICE. THEY SAI IT HAD WATER DAMAGE!. THAT IS A COMPLETE LIE! NO WATER DAMAGE EVER. SO THEY DO NOT WANT TO REPLACE MY PHONE AND NOW WANT ME TO PAY A $50 DEDUCTIBLE TO GET A REFURBISHED PHONE. PEOPLE THIS IS A COMPLETE WORLD WIDE SPRINT SCAM AND THEY NEED TO BE SUED. TO PROVE MY POINT, I STAYED IN THE STORE SPRINT STORE FOR 30 MINUTES ARGUING MY POINT AND WHILE I WAS THERE I WATCH AS TECHNICIANS TOLD 5 DIFFERENT CUSTOMERS THEY HAD WATER DAMAGE PHONES. I WENT TO ANOTHER STORE AND HEARD THE SAME CLAIM 6 TIMES IN 45 MINUTES, THE NEXT DAY I VISITED ANOTHER SPRINT STORE AND HEARD TEH SAME CLAIM AT LEAST 8 TIMES. I WITNESSED CONFRONTATION AFTER CONFRONTATION WHERE CUSTOMERS ARGUED THEIR PHONE HAD NOT CAME IN CONTACT WITH WATER. AN IN EVERY INSTANT THESE PEOPLE WHERE DENIED COVERAGE AND WHERE TOLD THEY WOULD NOT RECIEVE A REFURBISHED PHONE. ALL WHERE TOLD TO MAKE A INSURANCE CLAIM AND PAY A COSTLY DEDUCTION. AGAIN SPRINT IS A SCAM RIDDEN COMPANY AND NEEDS TO BE SUED AGAIN! I HAVE FOOTAGE OF SOME OF THESE OCCURRANCES AND POST ON YOU TUBE AND OTHER PLACES ON THE INTERNET. I HAVE FILED A COMPLAINT ON SPRINT AND WITH SPRINT AND WILL KEEP POSTING ABOUT THIS TOTAL RIP-OFF SCAM IN TEH FUTURE!

4 1 Reply
celio

May 31, 2013 #658204 Taylor, Michigan, United States

TO ALL SPRINT USERS: OUR ACCOUNTS WERE HACKED AT RANDOM
Sorry for any grammatical errors I’m writing this very late …and very frustrated.

So tonight was a normal night for my husband and I grocery shopping after work and so on. We get home and feed our infant son and I try to make a phone call to my grandmother whom I call nightly religiously and when I had not heard from her (usually she calls me by the time I get around to it) I attempt to make a phone call and get an error voice message (your account cannot be validated) hmm. Hang up try again maybe it’s a fluke… and again same thing. First thing I tell my husband he immediately pulls up sprint.com we always pay our bill early (have never once been late) thinking hmm… did we maybe forget to pay our bill or something?????
No billing issues then look over at the phones associated with our account they are not the Galaxy Note 2 ‘s we own they are two LG lotus flip phones or something…
Immediately alarm bells go off and he dials sprint. They inform us our phones had been SWITCHED PER CUSTOMER REQUEST ACTUALLY PER MY REQUEST?!?
NO ABSOLUTELY NOT BY “OUR”REQUEST…so she sends us forth to the fraud dept.…. where again we are informed the request to change phones has been made per the account holder (my husbands) wife (me). They proceeded to ask me has anyone borrowed your phone? NO! So they tell me they are going to restore our phones and I said wait one-second let me SPRINT FAMILY
... Show more

1 1 Reply

Oct 05, 2015 #1043273

So sorry to hear about your experience! We also have had bad of the bad involving Sprint such as brand new devices needing replaced within 3 days after purchased. Began Began receiving nasty & harassing phone calls & text messages within an hour 45 minutes after activation of new device & phone new number. The very same numbers & people that were harassing me on my previous number! Was just giving new number to husband when all of this began again. Six months has gone by & come to find out all of the HARASSMENT has been coming from several of Sprint's customer service representatives! Calling/texting but using names & phone numbers of my friends & family! It is obvious that Sprint steals Customer Account Information as well as Personal Data that's stored on the devices! Technical Support has access to everything on every device that they service/repair! Yes, stealing contacts lists, photos, videos, financial info, emails etc! Fed up, Sprint caused alot of issues for us and our family & friends! We are leaving Sprint!!!

1-20 of 26 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.